A Yorkshire Lad (for now, anyway)

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Oh yeah -- I'm at school

While I'm still logged in, I thought maybe I should tell people what it is I'm doing here.

I'm doing the MA in Medieval Studies course, a one-year programme culminating in a thesis of about 20,000 words. The year is divided into a fall term which ends at Christmas, a spring term ending at spring break, and a summer term which ends in June. Our degree results depend on the coursework (30%) and the thesis (70%).

In our first term we're required to take the core module, one options module (both of which are only for the one term), and two "skills courses" which run through both fall and spring. We are also "strongly encouraged" to audit the other skills courses on offer, according to our interests and other activities. In the spring term we take two options modules, and in the summer term we begin work on the dreaded thesis, the writing of which is achieved over the summer vacation. So, the programme lasts until late September of 2007. Throughout the year the Centre for Medieval Studies also runs a wide variety of lectures and conferences, at which our attendance is also strongly encouraged.

At the moment I'm taking the core module, which is divided into four sections, each of which we were allowed to pick according to our interests and previous experience. At the moment I'm doing some archaeology. In weeks 5-7 I'll be working more closely on the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles, then I'll have a seminar on Christina of Markyate, and finally a seminar on the Middleham Jewel (I'll say more about all of those later). For my options module I'm taking Textual Criticism and Codicology, but I missed our first class meeting this week because I was ill and my professor made me go home. For the skills courses I'm doing Palaeography and Advanced Medieval Latin for assessment, and auditing introductory courses in Old English, Old Norse, and Old French. All of these classes meet only once a week for two hours. Alas, whoever scheduled the language courses apparently thought it would be really funny to have them meet at 9.30 AM; and, due to reasons I'll discuss in a later post, that means I have to wake up at 7.30 Monday through Wednesday, which sucks. And, just for fun, my friend, a visiting student from the Netherlands, is trying to teach a few of us Dutch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home